Friday, August 24

On Their Deathbeds

Al-Fudail bin 'Iyad

On his deathbed, Fudail fainted, and when he regained consciousness, he opened his eyes and said, "
How far my journey is! Yet how little do I have in terms of provisions (i.e., good deeds)!"


Amir bin 'Abd-Qais

Amir bin 'Abd-Qais too was crying on his deathbed. And when he was asked for the cause of his crying, he said, "I am not crying because I fear death or because I desire more from this world; rather, I am crying because of what I will now miss out on in terms of thirst during the heat of midday (i.e., the thirst of fasting on a hot day) and of standing up at night (to pray) during the winter.


Bilal bin Rabah

Bilal's wife leaned over her husband while he was on his deathbed and said, "How much sadness this brings!" Bilal cheerfully replied, "How joyful this is! Tomorrow, I will meet my loved ones: Muhammad (saws) and his party (i.e., followers)."


Haroon Ar-Rashid

It is reported that, as he was taking in his final breaths, Ar-Rashid selected a shroud and, staring at it, recited:

"My wealth has not availed me, My power and arguments (to defend myself) have gone from me!" 69:28-29


Ibn Al-Munkadir

During his final illness, Ibn Al-Munkadir began to cry. "Why are you crying," he was asked.

"By Allah," he said, "I am not crying for the sins I know I perpetrated, but instead because I fear that I did something I considered to be minor, when with Allah (i.e., in His Judgment) it is (a) huge (sin)."


Ibn 'Umar

When Ibn 'Umar was on the verge of dying, he said, "There are only three things from this world that I am sad to miss: the thirst of the noon heat (i.e., when he is fasting on a hot day), the striving of the night (i.e., performing voluntary prayers at night), and that I have not fought this transgressing faction that has come to us (i.e., the faction of Al-Hajjaj bin Yusuf Ath-Thaqafi)."


Ibrahim An-Nakha'i

When Ibrahim An-Nakhai was seen crying on his deathbed, someone asked him, "Why are you crying?"

"And why should I not cry,"
he began to exclaim, "when I am waiting for the Messengers of my Lord 'Azza wa-Jall (the Possessor of might and majesty), not knowing whether they will bring me tidings of Paradise or of the Hell-fire!"


Mu'adh bin Jabal

When Mu'adh was about to die, he said, "O Allah, I have feared You my entire life, yet today I am hoping from You (i.e., hoping for Your mercy). 0 Allah, You indeed know that I did not love the world for a long stay in it, for the flowing of rivers, or for the planting of trees; but rather for the thirst of the midday heat (i.e., for fasting on a hot day), for striving hours at a time (in worship), and for sitting near scholars in circles of remembrance (i.e., gatherings wherein You are remembered)."


Mu'awiyah bin Abu Sufyan

Lying on his deathbed, Mu'awiyah asked those around him to help him up to a seated position. After his wish was complied with, he began to glorify Allah and praise Him. Then he cried and said, "Remember your Lord, 0 Mu'awiyah, after having experienced decrepitude and decline; at one time, this body was young and flourishing." Through loud and uncontrollable weeping, those nearby heard him say, "O my Lord, have mercy on this old sinner whose heart is hard. O Allah, pardon me and forgive my sins for me. And show Your leniency to the one who hopes from You only, and who trusts in none save in You."


Muhammad bin Wasi'

Muhammad bin
Wasi' was on his deathbed, and all around him many visitors were gathered, some of whom were standing, while others were sitting down. He said, "Show me what benefit all of these people will be to me tomorrow when I will first be seized by my forelocks and my feet, and then thrown into the Hell-fire."

"The Mujrimun (polytheists, criminals, sinners, etc.) will be known by their marks (black faces), and they will be seized by their forelocks and their feet." 55:41


Sa'd bin Abu Waqqas

When Sa'd was on the verge of dying, he requested that someone should bring him a tattered, wool garment that he had been keeping safe for many years. "Enshroud me in it," he said. "For indeed, I was wearing it when I fought the disbelievers on the Day of Badr, and I have been saving it just for this very day."

No comments: